EXPECTATIONS OF CONDUCT
Our intention is to create an environment that supports our educational mission. Delegates are simulating the bodies of the United Nations. Thus for the period of the online conference, they are to be regarded as diplomats and official representatives for the country/organisation they have been assigned, as well as representatives of their own school. Professionalism in speech, actions, and appearance by all participants (delegates, Student Officers, MUN-Directors, guests, secretariat, staff, and board members) is a requirement at all THIMUN conferences. These guidelines are provided to help establish clear expectations.
Schools are expected to select their students. This is important not only for the good name of THIMUN but also for the good name of the school concerned.
ALL PARTICIPANTS MUST:
- Be Respectful in both spoken and written language at all times.
- Have a courteous behaviour towards Student Officers, advisors and others assisting in the programme.
- Not use music or audio recordings during online lobbying and debate.
- Respect the participant dress code, portraying professionalism as expected in diplomatic settings.
- Not use photos as screen backgrounds. The only accepted background will be that of the flag of the delegation the delegates are representing.
- Participate in constructive and positive chats. All chats can be reviewed at any time by moderators/admin staff/MUN-Directors and can be made available to Directors and THIMUN Staff on request.
- Be aware that all sessions will be recorded, and all materials used are the property of THIMUN, and can only be used for the purposes for which they were intended.
- Remain in character by consistently advocating the interests and representing the policies of the country/organisation assigned. To act in character also entails displaying respect for the opinions and ideas of fellow delegates, even if these opinions and ideas conflict with a given delegate’s own country’s priorities.
- Collaborate with fellow delegates whenever possible within the THIMUN Online platform.
- Make efforts to ensure that students maintain a positive and professional approach to the conference and help them understand the skills of diplomacy as practised.
- Must help their students during the preparation period, since the students are the responsibility of the designated MUN-Director.
- Are expected to be available during conference hours to supervise their students and to be available as their advisor.